Saturday, April 4, 2009

Some thoughts and feelings about this journey.

The emotions envoked in me when I imagine making the choice to change my lifestyle in response to becoming a better steward of the Earth is first and foremost EXCITEMENT, HOPE and insurmountable bits of inspiration. I've always had a desire to live a simple life. In my daydreams I see myself living on a farm or a small piece of land on the water, surrounded by gardens and fresh air. Gathering eggs and hanging clothes on the line, biking to the grocery store and having iced tea in a hammock by the lake, thoughts only interrupted by the laughter of children, the birds chirping and the bugs buzzing. Not bothered by the radio, t.v. full of fear promoting bad news, the internet, iphone, ipod...all of the tools that replace our longing and desire for the still, quiet music of silence and for realtionship with God.

The joy of such thoughts are quickly crowded out by impending failure and defeat; the worry that I won't be able to give up my comforts and ease for such self-sacrifice, but is is really self-sacrifice? I consider what I might consider giving up and what that loss might be replaced with.....

Big house, lots of space, fast cars, ease and comfort, lots of STUFF in exchange for a greater intimacy with with my family, myself, my neighbors, God. Patience, peace, quiet, simplicity, joy in the small stuff of life and the assurance that I'm behaving in a way that would make God proud and is helping to preserve this great planet for future generations and creating a healthier, less toxic environment for my family and myself.

I'm not sure what's prevented me from making such a lifestyle change before. Andis said this morning, "It all just makes so much sense. Why didn't we do this a long time ago?" What has prevented us from making this change?? Not being raised with the value of the environment being stressed, lack of knowledge, the pressure of society, advertising, all of the above. In order to break the cycle of 'consuming' and 'trashing' and replacing it with reducing, reusing and recycling, wholistic living and detoxifying the consumption that is necessary I see that three things are vital: 1. the desire to change, inspired by awareness of reality, 2. the knowledge and education needed to stimulate change, 3. a deeper understanding of God and His Truth to sustain change by putting my 'trash triggers' in perspective and taking their weight and power away.

My addiction to consumption and waste begins to wane now.

No comments:

Post a Comment