Monday, April 6, 2009

Little Bits of Trash = not so little bits of trash.

So, I was surveying my pantry this evening, something I do often since the beginning of this journey. Andis will find me just staring at sections of our house (usually the kitchen and bathroom), pondering trash for moments on end. As I was staring I was thinking about the ease of the 'single-serving' movement that currently plagues our society. We usually don't have time to measure, we don't have time to make, we want just enough, we want it now, we want it fast and we want to be able to fix it with ease and thoughtlessness. Oatmeal, sweetener, creamer for my coffee, energy drink packets, bouillon, crackers, snacks, popcorn, cereal, vegetable juice, milk...you can find virtually anything and everything in single serving size. Think about all of those tiny individual packets that ARE NOT recyclable for those of you who don't know. When instead I could buy in bulk and have one container (that is PROBABLY recyclable) to dispose of. Novel! Now, buying bulk popcorn and cooking it in anything other than the microwave seems like an absolutely ancient practice, but does anyone remember the JIFFY POP? We had one during my childhood and I LOVED IT! You pour the oil and popcorn in, watch the spinner and all of sudden, like magic, POPCORN! It reminds me of Sunday nights at the Baker house; popcorn always, a family film, always and pizza and soda if we were lucky...and the Jiffy Pop. My how simple things were then! ;) I digress.

Moral of the story: Single servings are stupid. Buy in bulk!

1 comment:

  1. We have all of our staples in repurposed jars and containers. And, it's amazing how fast you can bust out waffles from scratch after you do it 8000 times. And they freeze well. Presto, frozen waffles you can warm up in a toster oven that taste good and have wheat flower in them! Bulk is where it's at.

    ReplyDelete