Sunday, April 5, 2009

365 Days of Trash

As Andis and I were sitting at our fave Mexi restaurant after church today the thought entered my psyche...what if we could produce no 'trash' for an entire year? I don't mean waste because even recycling and compost is considered waste, but what if everything we consumed could either be reused, recycled or composted? With the average American producing 4-6 lbs. of trash a day, that would save 3,650 lbs. of trash from entering landfills between the both of us in a year! What an impact!

Naturally, I knew that someone else had done it before so I began to research and found Sustainable Dave who took on the same challenge last year. To check him out go to www.365daysoftrash.blogspot.com. His manner is quite different than ours will be as we don't have a basement in which to store our trash until D-day nor do we have a worm farm for composting, but our goal is this....

Compost all of the food waste that we can, reuse and recycle the rest. I know that this will be a journey and a learning process and that we won't be able to achieve our goal of no trash for a year right away, and that as we progress we will come up with new alternatives to waste so patience with ourselves is the key, but if you don't start somewhere you won't get anywhere I think.

Wish us luck on this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment